Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Kung Fu Applications: Lessons From An Unusual Arena


By Dave Mandeix
Dave is a fifth level student at Wu Dao

In a previous article, I talked about the application of kung fu techniques in a typical stand up fight. I went in to each match with the intent to try and apply specific techniques to see what kind of results I could get. Recently, I found myself applying kung fu in a situation where I never thought I would: a grappling match. A few Saturdays ago I was staying with a friend of mine (Nathaniel) with whom I shared previous training in Tang Soo Do and Brazilian Jujitsu. It had been a long day – I arrived home, parched and underfed (having eaten nothing more than a protein bar for breakfast) and my friend opined that a little pre-dinner grappling might hit the spot, what with his basement being recently refitted as a martial arts gym and all. Never one to back down from a challenge, I gamely agreed. I chugged some water, threw on my old Judo uniform (a heavy 6 pound double weave cotton monster) and headed for the mats. On my way down the stairs, I began frantically cudgeling my brains for a game winning strategy.

Nate is an experienced BJJ grappler with a number of techniques in his toolbox. We've rolled together before, and in the past we were about even. However, I felt that even in my somewhat disadvantaged state, I now had the advantage of training on him. Make no bones about it – we train hard at Wu Dao, and hard training pays off in the heat of battle. I knew I would have to bring the pressure, hit him hard and fast and not let up.

After a brief warm up, we squared off and began to go at it. The first thing that struck me as we struggled for position was that I was aware of his body in a different way than I had ever been before, even with my familiarity with grappling. I found myself going beyond the rote positions I had learned in my youth, and found myself thinking of his movements in the same concepts we see in kung fu – like being opened or closed, full or empty, tense or relaxed. My awareness of Nate's body and posture made me more mindful of my own (yes, even on the ground posture is important). For the first time there were new elements at my command to use for solving the physical Rubik’s cube that is applying a submission. I feel my kung fu training has added to my understanding of the body and its mechanics, and my own body in particular.

The second thing that struck me was that kung fu has really taught me to stick my techniques. When I found myself in a position to sink a choke or arm bar, I would mentally and physically execute the move in the same way I would a punch or a kick – aiming for correct body posture, utilizing my whole body in the technique rather than (for example) just hauling like hell on an arm or a leg with my limbs. I felt myself commit the whole of my being to each submission. It was a novel, and surprisingly natural, application of what we train.

Another advantage of my training was that it taught me to fight while I was tired. I could not match my opponent in a prolonged test of strength, nor rely on bullying my way into techniques. My plan, then, was to launch a rapid series of light attacks and pick the one that got through Nate's defenses to apply my strength to. When I did get a window to apply a choke or an arm bar though, I found that I was often still tired, and here is where our training really paid off; kung fu has helped me cultivate the ability to dig deep, even when I think nothing is left, simply because I have to.

The final aspect of my training that I feel impacted my fighting that night was my attitude. Even though I was tired and at a serious disadvantage, I kept my focus and didn't allow myself to give up. I knew what I needed to do strategically to win, and I did just that. It may seem simple, but think about the number of times you have known what needed to be done, but for whatever reason, that thing does not get done. Kung fu has sharpened my ability to do what is necessary, especially when it is not the easiest thing to do.

At the end of the night- after about an hour of grappling, I had three victories under my belt (two arm bars and a choke) and no losses. It was an exhausting ordeal, but I am glad I did it. There is no better feeling in the world than understanding that what you have put your time and energy (and blood, and sweat, and tears...) into has paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment