Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kung Fu Reflections

By Scott Cranton
Scott is a fourth level student at Wu Dao

I've been at Wu Dao for a little more than three years mostly doing Shaolin Kung Fu. I previously studied Praying Mantis / Wah Lum for 5 years, and Shotokan Karate for 2-3 years. When I was young, I also did some Kempo Karate and Judo. I stopped doing martial arts for a long gap (15+ years), but when I signed my three kids up for classes at Wu Dao, it only took watching a few of their classes for me to realize I needed to sign myself up too...

I fell in love with Kung Fu as a kid watching Bruce Lee and other Kung Fu movies on TV. I loved the animal forms, and the power and grace of the movements; I wanted to do that. My parents signed me up for the nearby martial arts schools - Kempo Karate and Judo - and I got more serious in my late teenage years, and early twenties. I enjoyed the other styles I tried, always finding challenges and no shortage of hard work, but, until I found Kung Fu, it always felt like just exercise; punching and kicking and such. Kung Fu felt like the martial arts I knew from the movies with its grace and power.

Classes at Wu Dao are great as they combine physical and mental challenges in a welcoming environment that is accepting of all physical abilities while challenging each individual to push themselves for more. Every class has just enough structure to help you shake off a stressful work day with challenging strength and flexibility training. Most classes have flex time, with instructors available, to let you dig into what's going to help you get to the next level, be that a new technique, form, weapon, sparring, etc. It's also fun to train with so many others who share my same interest and passion. After finishing a grueling couple hours of class, it's not unusual for a peer to say "wow, that was a tough class; how about we run through that a couple more time or wrap the day with 300 sit-ups.” It’s fun to work with others who are equally "crazy" about Kung Fu.

At most other martial arts schools I've gone too, I've seen a focus on quantity over quality. I've learned dozens of forms and weapons, and gotten belt promotions because I put my time in. It was fun for a while to learn all these different things, but eventually I realized I didn't know how to use the forms and weapons I learned in real life situations; I could only go through the motions. What's the point of learning a fighting art if you can’t actually fight with it? At Wu Dao, the focus is on quality where we go deep into fewer things to help students really understand, and apply, a technique. That helps me understand how to get my body to move the way I want it too.

Even though I want a martial arts style to teach me how to fight, I hope to never have to really use it. I've only been in one real street fight in my life, and hope to never have another. That said, I do enjoy sparring with my peers, and if I'm going to spend many, many hours working on a technique or form, I want to actually be able to use it while sparring. For me it's about doing something that helps push me to do things I never thought I could do, and through that to learn more about myself. I gain health, a deeper connection with myself, and a sense of well being. This has many practical benefits such as being able to do more physical activities with my kids, and helping in my sales job by my having more confidence when I’m engaging with others. The training has also helped me correct a number of issues I've had with a trick knee, and some other strength issues, and it has improved my overall quality of life. Plus, there is nothing better than, after a hard day at work struggling to remain professional with customers and peers, having the stress release of a hard work out (i.e. hitting things).

The most memorable part of Wu Dao has been the rare opportunities to work with Shifu Shi De Cheng, a real Shaolin Monk! He's the nicest, most talented, and deadliest person I've ever met. Always smiling, he patiently trains us in Kung Fu that feels like it's been taught for a thousand years at the Shaolin Temple. When he shows us the applications of the techniques, you know you're learning a real fighting art. But when Shifu demonstrates a technique on me, I realize that this smiling little monk can completely and effortlessly wipe the floor with me despite the 6 inches and 60 pounds I have over him.

Wu Dao continues to be a great school for my kids and myself. I really enjoy the hard, practical workouts, learning skills that could help me fight, and more importantly help me understand myself better. You can't ask for more than great teachers, a great facility, and great people.

No comments:

Post a Comment